Searching for Familiar

January 20, 2016  
   After returning from a recent visit to our old stomping grounds (Atlanta, Georgia), I was struck by a feeling that I've been unconsciously seeking since we moved to the Cape in July.  I felt it this past weekend while we were driving to our old favorite places, stopping by friends' houses, driving by the kids' schools and my old job:  Familiarity.   Familiar is that cozy, comfy feeling you get when everything is easy and simple, routine.
    You know that hum drum routine you have that takes you where you are always used to going.  Those places where everybody knows your name. Driving the same route you drive every day past the same building and signs you've seen for years.   You know it so well.  (So well in fact, it could be boring if you really sat and thought about it.)  But when you're comfortable, settled  and everyone is happy, it's satisfying.  Like a big bowl of macaroni and cheese, there's nothing better.
   Our summer here on the Cape was amazing.  Making a new routine with my family was like a scavenger hunt.  We had no idea where anything was, or what we were doing.  We explored many beaches, toured all up and down the cape,  filled our quota on spontaneous stops at craft festivals and fairs.  Everything in the beginning was something new and new is always fun!  Who doesn't love an adventure?!
    So, here we are.  6 1/2 months later.... and that feeling is gnawing at me again.  I'm beginning to wonder, is new fun anymore?  To tell you the truth, I think the fun is done.  New is old and I'm ready for hum drum.  So I must ask, when do you know: This is it?
    When does new become familiar?  I miss Familiar,  I'm not ashamed to say it.  I'd like him back as soon as possible. I want what all people want, whether it's in the form of a relationship, a job, a puppy, a move, whatever.  At some point we all want to feel like we are good.
     I'm ready, really ready.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts