Poppin' Tags

January 27, 2016

     Whether it was something I was born with, inherited, or acquired early on, I have always, always been addicted to shopping.  Always have been, always will. (Sorry Jeff) I have no qualms or issues on the shopping whereabouts either.  I'm no hater.  I am an openminded and liberal person on all fronts.  Shopping is no different.  I can find a thrill at any location, whether it is free standing, a fold out table, a moving object on wheels, even the inside of a trench coat on a street corner.  You can always count on me to find something that I will never be able to live without. 
     That being said, being a newbie on the Cape has been a shopping ecstasy!  Unlike finding a friend or getting a job, there are a multitude of shops wanting to be discovered and relished here.  There are local boutiques,  surf and souveneir shops, craft fairs, Christmas Tree Shops on every cute Cape corner.  It's a true shopper's fantasy land.
     However,  truth be told, I am a bargain queen. Or rather maybe I have become one to be able to afford my little shopping problem.
     So in comes these little hidden gems:  thrift and consignment shops! A much less expensive option than the mall or paying full price in a major store-store.  And if you haven't caught on, it's totally "in" now to upcycle, repurpose, and recycle.   I love this concept of continuing the life of a once treasured object that has lost the love.  
     Oh and just to thrift-educate you, there is a difference between thrift and consignment.  Thrift shops are normally items that have been donated (which keeps their prices lower, since the money generated is normally donated to a church or charity).  Consignment stores are items that are still owned by an individual (at higher prices) who will receive payment when their items are sold.  However, there are thrift/consignment shops that will buy your items straight out, and you get your money up front. The down side to this is you get paid less for your merchandise, but the upside at buying is they're still lower in cost.   Enough shopping education, let's get on with the shopping bit.
     Because you are cool (since you're still reading my blog), I'll share with you some of my favorites spots. 
     *  Wicked Thrift:  Funky, artsy, but super cool thrift shop.  It carries clothing, shoes, accessories, and jewelry.  They buy your items up front and you can either get store credit or a check.  It's a win/win.  There are 2 locations: Dennis (vintage only) and West Yarmouth (more mainstream and trendy).  It's got a fun vibe, with good music and nice ladies that work there, making shopping fun!  And they have great stuff! I bought my favorite suede COACH bag there for $80!  
     *  Second Glance Thrift Boutique:  Clothes and furniture are sold at this thrift shop.  It's smaller and not overstocked, and depending on when you go, you could get lucky.   I went this past Tuesday and everything was 1/2 off  (excluding jewelry and furniture).   All items are donated and the money earned goes directly to The Family Pantry of Cape Cod (a fantastic, huge community charity that distributed over $2.4M worth of food to the Cape Cod community last year. )  So you can get your shopping fix and feel good about giving back to our local people.  
     *  Our Lady of the Cape and The Corner Thrift Store:  And these are just 2 of many church thrift stores.  You will find a thrift store attached to almost every church here on the Cape.   Other than clothing and accessories, you'll find bedding, linens, pillows, electronics, house hold items....  and perhaps a black rabbit fur coat for $20!  (just saying)  And sometimes they have a free bin!  Never underestimate free:  I found a bamboo serving tray, a cute Raggedy Ann looking doll only in need of a good washing (for my shopping assistant/daughter who had accompanied me) and a tiny bookshelf (again for my assistant, who uses it as a doll bunkbed).
     *  Hyannis Goodwill:  Or as I refer to it, "GW".  Now I know some people have mixed feeling about Goodwill.  But if your shopping is providing someone a  job, how can this be bad? And if you were just going to throw away those old pair of knock-off UGG boots or flannel Red Sox pajama bottoms, then why the heck not donate them??   I have fallen in love with this particular GW in Hyannis. I have actually had to remove myself from the store and have a talk with myself about what the heck was going on?  And did I seriously need another knit scarf and some cute stuffed animal bears?? (I mean get ahold of yourself woman?!)  I am happy to say I've put myself on a once a month visit, so we'll see how that goes.  
      *  Changing Tides: This consignment shop feels like a high end boutique you would find on Newbury Street.  The owners are 2 young ladies who seem to have their business sh-- together.  I was completely impressed at their display and their selection.  They only take designer names, so their inventory is very vogue worthy (and a little pricey).  However, their Tory Burch and DVF items are still well priced.  And of course, I found some amazing gold & black stone earrings and a BCBG black chic leader tote with my name on them. (I only spent $40 though!)
     *  Clothes Den:  The name suits this shop to a T. And you need to be a shopping lion or lioness to feel at home. This is not for the meek or timid.  It is an old house that is sometimes closed and sometimes open (They should really consider using that on their "hours" sign!?)   All clothes, accessories and shoes are new, not used, but they have men and women's items.   The prices are lower than mall and store prices, but may be last seasons finds or slightly irregular.  So you will have to pick and pick, sometimes off the floor.  A den means a den,  not neat and tidy or well displayed.  But you may luck out or at least find a treasure on the $5 side. (like a soft flannel shirt or trendy print leggings, like I did!)

     So much shopping to do and so little time, so stay tuned.  I will do my best in continuing my difficult research in finding more hidden gems and keep you in the "shopping loop".  From one shopaholic to another,  I am here to support you.  Shop well.

 **some of my favorite finds
*Ha-ha, George wanted in on the good deals too

Love these gold and black earrings from Changing Tides

This is my daily uniform: flannel, knit cap
and scarf, and boots!

  

Comments

Popular Posts