When Inspiration Strikes

   Inspiration is a funny thing.  You can't make it happen.  It's an involuntary occurrence.  Believe me, I've tried to "get inspired".  It doesn't work.  You can't force yourself to get inspired just like Cinderella's stepsisters couldn't force the glass slipper on their feet. It wasn't their shoe. It wasn't their moment.  My silly, yet honest blog is really about inspiration.  Things that have struck me and compelled me to want to share with others, you.
     People, music, stories, moments can all conjure up something special, inspirational.  And sharing inspiration is the best.  It's happy and funny, uplifting and hopeful, thought provoking and motivational.  That's what I'd like to think Facebook and Instagram are really for:  sharing something that will help inspire others. Positively.  I am a big advocate for positivity.  Who doesn't like rainbows and lollipops?  There's enough negative out there, we don't need to replay it.  I feel it's my civil and moral duty to push optimism.  Ain't nobody got time for reading about bad, sad, scary, awful crap.  That's what the news is for.  Negativity is unavoidable, so why add to it? Ok, enough of that.  Moving on... :)
     Inspiration is sneaky and stubborn.  It also has it's own hours of operation.  Which is annoying.  Inspiration will hit me out of nowhere, or abandon me for days with absolutely none.  I have learned not to give up hope, that patience will pay off and inspiration will find me. And it always does.

   My 8 year old daughter has recently been working on a class biography project on a famous person in history.  She has been bursting with excitement every day about what she's learned about this woman, Deborah Sampson (look her up, Revolutionary War heroine).   She can recite the book and all of the unbelievable risks and choices this lady made during her lifetime.  My daughter said she is very inspired by Deborah's life and wants to be as courageous and important as she was.  Pretty major feeling for an 8 year old, and as her mother, I hope she can.  But she also loves Meghan Trainor and insists she will sing on TV one day too. So.... there's that going for her too.
 
      Music.  Ah. Who doesn't have their go to music for putting them in a "mood" whatever that may be.  The other day I heard an old song I haven't heard in years.  Fate, I'd like to say put that song on radio just for me.   I am a solid and steadfast believer that all things happen for a reason. Even a song being played on the radio that hits you.  Silly as they may be to others, the words spoke to me and made me pause and write them down.  Inspiration was singing to me thru my car radio.
 
   Since moving here last July, my daughter has been taking a swimming skills class.  I'm not sure what we did right or by what luck we found this instructor, but he is an amazing man.  Anyone that knows him I'd bet you money will agree.  Mr. Tyler, is truly hidden gem and an inspiration to all of his devoted students current past, and those in between that have known him.  He is known all over the Cape for his swim instruction, swim technique style, and his fascinating life.  He'll be the first to tell you he's 85 years old (and he totally looks 65, I swear!), lost his loving wife a year ago, and has been giving swim instruction to kids for over 50 years.  It's his one and only passion.  He is a rarity, in that he has always done what he's loved and is still doing it, even in his mid 80's. He taught history in public school, then went on to teaching in a private boarding school.  And prior to teaching, was in the Marines. He's a get to the point kind of guy, but his warm heart and his kind words to each child tells you differently. At the end of every lesson, every single swimmer goes up to him, shakes his hand and says, "Thank you, Mr. Tyler".  Nobody tells them to do that.  He's respected and admired. He is a walking inspiration every day here on the Cape.

     Our dear friend Ben, from Georgia, is an inspiration to all who know him.  He's an accomplished IronMan competitor, a father to 2 great kids, a husband, self employed, and a friend to all who know him, etc. etc. He was recently diagnosed with colon and liver cancer.  And if you didn't pay attention to FaceBook, you wouldn't know. He hasn't let any of this get in the way of what matters most in his life.  But even on Facebook, every selfie of him and his loving family is all positive.  It's like another difficult race that he's just gotta make to the finish line. Check it off the list.  Man, he makes cancer look like a piece of cake. You go, man. You are definitely my inspiration.

    "Inspiration needs visual chaos",  jumped from the page of an article in one of my many magazines.  Agreed. If you've followed me on Instagram or Facebook, you know how greatly inspired I am by the unbelievable close-up views of sunsets, sunrises and water scapes surrounding me here. I absolutely love it.  I must be part mermaid, I swear.  Being absorbed in this beach community I have fallen victim to taking a million pictures of the scenery.  I HAVE to do it.  I am making the time to stop, look, absorb and photograph/record/document what I am feeling and seeing.  This has freed my artistic soul that I haven't been able to find for a long time. As a creative person, this is profound and I owe it all to my beautiful surroundings.

    Inspiration isn't just for us artsy fartsy people.  Inspiration is a free bonus gift for any willing and able recipient.  Take from it what you will and use it for whatever good it brings you: professionally, personally, emotionally, and/or physically.  Your soul (and hopefully others) will thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts